MENU

US Government gets involved in LA housing lawsuit

Posted on June 8, 2017


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

According to Elizabeth Chou of the Los Angeles Daily News, the US government has announced its involvement in a lawsuit. The suite accuses the city of Los Angeles of using millions of federal dollars to build housing while being negligent of making those residential units accessible for disabled persons. The Justice Department got involved after a “lengthy investigation.”

Mei Ling, an LA resident with a disability, along with Fair Housing Council of San Fernando Valley, an advocacy nonprofit, filed complaints to the government back in 2011. The lawsuit charges LA city officials of falsely certifying their compliance with federal regulations regarding the accessibility of public housing units.

Ling told reporters she “can’t even have a simple shower, because that’s not how my unit is setup.”

 

The city has already agreed to pay the established $200 million of a separate lawsuit from 2012 concerning similar allegations. According to Chou, “Justice Department officials said Wednesday that the lawsuit they are getting involved with addresses historical allegations, while last year’s settlement amount would only obligate the city to address future housing projects.”

Read Chou’s article for more information.


Related articles on Fair Housing cases:

California landlords must pay Hispanic families with children

Assistance animal discrimination costly for Nevada owners

Please follow us!
Facebooktwitterlinkedinyoutubeinstagram
Marketing Intern
Charles Rowe is currently an undergraduate student at Birmingham-Southern College. Charles joined the Navigate Team this June as a Marketing and Social Media Intern. He has experience in social media and video and is using his skills to make known the Navigate Housing brand to the American community.